So you've bought your first electric scooter but you're not quite sure how to take proper care of it, then we've got just the guide for you. Electric scooters are a fun way to zip around the neighbourhood for both kids and bigger kids, yes mom and dad we're talking to you too.
If you want to ensure that your electric scooter lasts as long as possible, then here's our guide on what you should and should not do with your Scooter if you plan on keeping running and looking its best.
- Leave your scooter with a flat battery for long periods of time.
- Push-ride your scooter while it is switched on.
- Ride your scooter when the battery is flat.
- Expose your scooter and its components to water.
- Ride your scooter if its tyres are flat.
- Ride your scooter on any public roads.
- Leave your scooter standing if something has broken, try to repair any fault that prevents you from riding the scooter or charging the battery as soon as possible. The batteries will stop holding a charge if the scooter is unused for more than a few weeks.
- Never leave the self-balancing scooter charging unattended, especially overnight. The lithium batteries and charger may overheat and cause a fire.
- Double-check the online reviews before buying. Look for information about the company's head office as well as a landline number.
- Buy from a trusted online retailer. Websites with spelling and grammatical errors can be an indication that the seller is not part of a professional operation.
- Do not be dazzled by a bargain. Always question the price and if it looks too good to be true, it most likely is.
- Read the warning about Lithium battery use here.
Note: Check out our range of Goboards here
- Keep your scooter clean, and moving parts lubricated.
- Leave your scooter off in a safe place away from small children.
- Keep the battery fully charged - you cant over-charge the batteries.
- Always ride with a helmet.
- Ride in spacious areas away from obstacles or water.
- Keep your scooter in working condition. If a part on your scooter breaks, get it repaired as soon as possible. If your scooter stands without use for more than a few weeks the batteries could become damaged.
Stay safe on your scooter
Like any mode of transportation, scooters need love too, and those that look after it will always get more joy and years out of their purchase. Take care of your scooter and it will take care of you, and give you plenty of hours of enjoyment.
Ready to buy your next scooter?
SA Scooters is an online store but we also have branches in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban for those who want to visit our show room and take any of our ranges for a test drive. Browse our selection of reliable and high quality scooters, go karts, hoverboards and more. We accept orders online and even offer free delivery nation wide.